SAN JOSE DE NAVOTAS PARISH
Established: July 1, 1859
M. Naval Street, San Jose, Navotas City
Tel. No.: (02) 282 9126
PARISH PRIEST: Rev. Fr. Rufino P. Yabut
ASSOCIATE PRIEST: Rev. Fr. Leo S. Pepito
AFTER SAN JOSE DE NAVOTAS PARISH was canonically erected on July 1, 1859, the construction of a provisional parish church started in November of the same year. It was in 1860, under the helm of Rev. Fr. Matias Naboa that the main altar was completed, the cemetery was inaugurated, and the belfry was erected. Right from the start, the parish boasted of a spacious churchyard.
Although the earthquake of June 1863 partially demolished the rectory, it was immediately reconstructed months after, through Fr. Naboa’s initiatives. Several improvements have been made since then, such as the construction of a complete, new parish complex, still under Fr. Naboa, and the baptistery, under the supervision of Rev. Fr. Manuel Perez. But, as another earthquake (1880) jolted the parish rectory, the parish priest, Rev Fr. Marcos Hernandez was forced to stay at the house of Capitan Juan Sioson, situated in front of the church. On June 1892, Rev. Fr. Tomas Agudo led the construction of the present–day parish, with the altar done by April 1895.
When the American Fleet of the post–Hispanic period under Commodore Dewey bombarded the town, the old Augustinian rest house in Banculasi was demolished. Rev. Fr. Nicolas Avedano, the first permanent Filipino parish priest of San Jose de Navotas Parish, took the parish records into Bigaa, Bulaan for safekeeping. Unfortunately, the battle front shifted to Bigaa, and everything that was kept was burned.
The Parish of San Jose de Navotas withstood other endeavors sturdily, from Aglipayan Schisms of the early 1900’s, the storm of October 16, 1934 that substantially damaged the church, to the invasion of Japanese armies and the aftermath of the battles. These scars give justice to the will of the people of Navotas; ever–dedicated, ever–faithful.
Saint Joseph, the husband of Mary
SAINT JOSEPH, THE MAN BETROTHED TO MARY THE MOTHER OF JESUS CHRIST, was chosen to be the human stepfather of Jesus in fulfillment of the scriptures, which says that the Messiah would come from the line of King David.
But though Joseph’s genealogy traces to King David, he had no evidences of royalty on him. He was a humble carpenter, living a simple life of principles and morals. In fact, when Joseph died, he had nothing to give Jesus but his ideals, and his title and his skills as a carpenter, or tektos in Greek, of Nazareth.
But more than his job, Joseph is well admired because of his courage and faith to the will of God. At the moment he learned about the pregnancy of Mary, he decided to silently end their engagement, which God has not intended. As the angel of God appeared to Joseph, he immediately followed its orders, taking care of Mary as she took the pains of childbearing, and afterwards loving Jesus as his real own son.
Saint Joseph is regarded as the patron saint of workers, and as the protector of the Church.
FEAST DAY/ FIESTA DAY
Rev. Fr. Matias Naboa 1859 – 1866
Rev. Fr. Manuel Perez 1866 – 1877
Rev. Fr. Gabino de los Reyes 1877
Rev. Fr. Guillermo Cuevas 1877 – 1881
Rev. Fr. Marcos Hernandez 1879 – 1881
Rev. Fr. Miguel Ampil 1881
Rev. Fr. Julian Diez 1881 – 1889
Rev. Fr. Mariano Rivas 1889 – 1891
Rev. Fr. Tomas Agudo 1891 – 1898
Rev. Fr. Nicolas Avendano 1898 – 1912
Rev. Fr. Placido Garcia Hidalgo 1912 – 1915
Rev. Fr. Victor Enrile 1915 – 1917
Rev. Fr. Jose Jovellanos 1916 – 1917
Rev. Fr. Magdaleno Castillo 1917 – 1925
Rev. Fr. Jose Paguia 1925 – 1926
Rev. Fr. Toribio Macazo 1926 – 1952
Rev. Fr. Pedro Ignacio 1952 – 1970
Rev. Msgr. Jose Mirasol 1970 – 1977
Rev. Msgr. Pacifico Mendoza 1977 – 1980
Rev. Fr. Lorenzo Egos 1980 – 1989
Rev. Msgr. Severino Casas 1989 – 1990
Rev. Msgr. Celso J. Ditan 1990 – 1991
Rev. Msgr. Rolando R. de la Cruz 1991 – 1997
Rev. Msgr. Jesus – Norriel B. Bandojo 1997 – 2002
Rev. Fr. Sonny C. de Claro 2002 – 2003
Rev. Fr. Constantino D.C. Conti 2003 – 2015
Rev. Fr. Mariano C. Bartolome 2015 – 2016
PARISH PASTORAL COUNCIL CHAIRPERSON
Sister Francisca Roque
Daily Masses – 6:00 AM and 6:00 PM
Sunday Masses – 5:00 AM, 6:15 AM, 7:30 AM and 9:00 AM 4:00 PM, 5:15 PM, 6:30 PM
Funeral Masses – Daily at 3:00 PM
Every Sunday at 11:00 AM
Special Baptism by appointment
Every March 19 (FIESTA)