SAN ROQUE PARISH
M. Naval St., Navotas City
Tel No.: 282 0052
PARISH PRIEST: Rev. Fr. Nestor P. Fajardo
Barrio San Roque was once under the parochial jurisdiction of San Jose Parish where a few houses were located. The population then was seventy percent less than what it has today.
In 1833, a new but small chapel made of concrete and wood stood at the heart of Tangos. This humble structure was changed when Rev. Fr. Magdaleno Castillo, a priest from San Jose, solicited funds from his parishioners.
Through the benovolence of the family of Don Miguel Pascual, the image of San Roque was presented to the chapel. Since then the chapel was named after this Saint now Patron of Barangay San Roque and Tangos, Navotas. Fr. Castillo oversaw the activities of the chapel. He was succeeded by Rev. Fr. Simeon Ginete and under him, the altar was renovated.
1951 was a year of blessing and jubilation for the devotees of San Roque. What was used to be a small place of worship was transformed into an independent parish. The administration of the parish worked hand in hand with its first full-fledged parish priest, Rev. Fr. Gerardo Bautista. Under Fr. Bautista’s term, the parish underwent major renovations.
A serious illness caused the demise of Fr. Bautista. Then came Rev. Fr. Pio Palad, then Rev. Fr. Jose Sugay and Rev. Fr. Alfonso Caparas, who all served for short time. Rev. Fr. Segundo Alto followed and served for seven years. He was replaced by Rev. Fr. Ceferino Sanchez upon the latter’s death.
In 1966, a native of Bulacan, Rev. Msgr. Manuel Ramos who was named Domestic Prelate was installed as the parish priest. Under the aegis of Msgr. Ramos, drastic changes in the church building and equipment transpired. Church groups began recognizing the role of the parish in the work of evangelization and in helping those who are in need.
After Msgr. Ramos died in 1985 then came a young priest, Rev. Fr. Eleno Tepace. He worked hard and introduced modern programs to the parish.
Fr. Tepace was transferred to another parish in 1990 and this time, Rev. Fr. Julius Frondosa took over the administration of the parish. The most notable contribution of Fr. Frondosa was the establishment of the Basic Ecclesial Communities (BECs) in the 12 areas of the parish where bible study, rosary and church teachings were brought closer to the grassroots.
In 1994, Fr. Frondosa was replaced by Rev. Fr. Lauro Frias. Fr. Frias led an integrated parish ministry approach by spearheadings programs and activities which were coordinated in all the existing parish organizations. As a result, the parish attained spiritual growth and encouraged more people to participate with the parish endeavors.