Category: Vicariate of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Published Date Hits: 1108

Birhen ng Lourdes Parish
Established: August 17, 1972
Malolos Ave., Bagong Barrio Caloocan City
Tel. No.:  (02) 363-2681 Fax:  (02) 363-1611
Parish Priest: Rev. Fr. Marcelo A. Andamon, OMI
Parochial Vicar: Rev. Fr. Stephen C. Ondoy, OMI



In 1964 when Cristituto Gali, one of the few pioneers of Bagong Barrio, was elected barrio captain, he spearheaded the construction of a chapel in their community. He donated his own house in General Tirona and had it converted into a small chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes. After six months, the people were able to purchase a lot between Gen. Tirona and G. de Jesus and a small semi-concrete chapel was built. This became the center chapel. Later on, the community was divided into five local areas and in each area a chapel was built; Sta. Lutgarda, Milagrosa, P. Gomez, Centro and East Bagong Barrio.

In 1970, the lay leaders from the five local chapels united themselves and petitioned for the declaration of Bagong Barrio as an independent parish. In 1972, the petition was approved and Cardinal Santos canonically erected the parish of Our Lady of Lourdes. Later that year, Rev. Fr. Jose Fajardo was installed as the first parish priest. Rev. Fr. Pedro Vicedo announced the change of the titular of the parish from Our Lady of Lourdes to Our Lady of the Most Blessed Sacrament. It was also during the incumbency of Fr. Fajardo that the following mandated organizations were established: Catholic Women’s League, Matrons of the Holy Eucharist, and the Foster Father of the Holy Eucharist.

In 1973, the right wing of the church was extended, its upper floor converted into a rectory and the altar renovated.In 1975, pastoral administration of the parish was turned over to the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate. Rev. Fr. Romeo Villanueva, OMI, organized the local councils of the local areas and the Pastoral Council as the coordinating body. He also introduced the concept of the Basic Christian Community as the thrust of the parish. As soon as the Pastoral Council was organized, they petitioned that the titular of the parish be restored to Our Lady of Lourdes (Birhen ng Lourdes). On April 20, 1976, Archbishop Jaime L. Cardinal Sin approved the petition.

The chronological list of pastors:

Rev. Fr. Jose Fajardo 1972-1975
Rev. Fr. Romeo Villanueva, OMI 1975-1978
Rev. Fr. Manuel Mina, OMI 1978-1980
Rev. Fr. Federico Labaglay, OMI 1980-1987
Rev. Fr. Beato Tariman 1987-1990
Rev. Fr. Eleno Balboa 1990-1992
Rev. Fr. Marciano Andres 1992-1994
Rev. Fr. Ruben Gomez, OMI 1994-1995
Rev. Fr. Antero Berboso, OMI 1995-1998
Rev. Fr. Joel Canonizado, OMI 1998 –
Rev. Fr. Oscar Lucas, OMI
Rev. Fr. Romeo D. Marcelino, OMI


Subscribe to received latest news and events

Make a Donation

Thank you for your donation.